blog
Eggshells and coffee grounds for Organic Farming

Eggshells and coffee grounds for Organic Farming

• Don’t spend too much on Fertilisers for your garden.
  • Like humans, plants also need these nutrients to survive and produce flowers and fruit.
  • Eggshells are a good source of calcium for your plants, Coffee grounds are an excellent free source of nitrogen.By using these items in the garden plants getting the nourishment they need.
  • Eggshells and coffee grounds contain nutrients like copper, nitrogen, calcium and potassium which help for plant growth.
  • Plants may produce deformed blooms because of a lack of proper amounts of calcium in the soil.
  • Eggshell is made almost entirely of calcium carbonate (CaCO3), which is a common form of calcium,This is also the cheapest and most widely available form of calcium in supplements.
  • Coffee grounds have pH between 6.5 and 6.8, making them a good choice for all plants.
  • Since the Egg husks are rich in calcium, and while the coffee provides nitrogen, both are a perfect complement to enrich the soil of the garden, either directly or by introducing it under the earth. 

Egg shell Tea

Eggshells are rich calcium. Plants may produce deformed blooms because of lack of calcium in the soil, Here are the steps for making Eggshell tea

1. To make an eggshell tea you will need a gallon of water and 10-20 eggshells at least. The more you add the stronger the tea will be.
  2. First you should rinse the shells with warm water, and let them dry in a sunny spot.
  3. Then Crush the eggshells or grind them into a fine powder. You can crush them into flakes using your hands or a coffee Grinder. they will decompose much faster if they are crushed or ground into powder.
  4. To make the crushing process easier, bake the eggshells at 350 degrees, also Store Crushed egg shells in a cool, dry place.
  5. Then Place at least 2 tablespoons of crushed eggshells with one Gallon of water (3.8 liters) to a Pot , This will be enough to brew 1 gallon of eggshell tea.
  6. In addition to that You can add 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt for extra nutrition. Epsom salt is high in magnesium and sulfate, both of which are beneficial to plants.
  7. Fill the pot with water and bring it to a boil for a few minutes. It will help the eggshells to start releasing their nutrients into the water faster. 
  8. Then remove the pot from heat, and let the eggshells steep, covered, steep for 3 or 4 days. During this time, the eggshells will release their nutrients into the water.
  9. Strain the water into a jar, and leave it outside overnight. When leaving the jar outside, make sure that it is covered, and in a shady spot, out of sunlight. Finally ready the Eggshell tea to add to your garden.
  10. Finally when you water your plants you can add diluted eggshell tea. For best results, use the eggshell tea once a week. store any leftover water in a cool, dry place.
  11. The Calcium infused EggShell tea will give plants a much needed growing boost.

Eggshell powder Fertilizer

Here are the steps for making egg shell powder

1. First you can collect eggshells in a container,wash them and let them dry completely.
  2. Then grind them, but be careful, Eggshell powder is very fine and flies all over the place. Do not open the jar lid immediately.
  3. About 2 minutes after grinding open the lid, shake the jar and repeat the process a few times.
  4. Then Sieve the eggshell powder into another container.
  5. Then You will be mix it with some coarse powder and just add this residue to compost pot.
  6. Eggshell powder is now ready. you can add it to plants immediately. Powdered eggshells decompose faster and add nutrients quicker to the soil.

Coffee grounds and eggshells for compost file

Leftover eggshells and coffee ground will have a second life in helping your garden

Coffee grounds help improve the drainage in heavy clay soils and water holding ability in sandy soils.  Coffee grounds also have essential micro nutrients needed by plants.

Mix crushed eggshells with coffee grounds, directly into the potting soil. consider mixing a handful of crushed eggshells into the soil.

Over time, the eggshells will leach their nutrients into the soil, and help the young plants grow into healthy, strong plants. 

Eggshells also help to control any slugs, because the crushed shells can deter the slugs with their sharp edges.

Composted Coffee Grounds

Coffee grounds can be used in compost like other kitchen scraps.

It is better to applying the coffee grounds mixed with wood chips or mulch to the plant, because if you directly add coffee ground to the soil, It will start fermenting and will heat up the soil in your garden or pot.

Combine equal parts grounds, grass clippings and dry leaves to create simple and effective compost. Combine all ingredients and turn the compost over with a pitchfork once a week.

Depending on the outdoor temperature, the compost should be ready to add to the garden in a few weeks.

Coffee grounds release nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus and other minerals as they break down – acting as a great natural slow-release fertilizer to the plants.

Start Seed in Eggshells

Save eggshell halves, Don’t use colored or painted eggs (such as Easter eggs). Because paints that can harm the delicate seedlings.

Then Clean the shell, inside and out, using warm water, after that set it down in the sun the dry.

First you need to drill a small drainage hole in the bottom of the shell using a pin. It is easiest if you drill a hole from the inside. Otherwise the roots are stuck inside for a couple of years.

Finally put some soil in the shell and use them to start seeds. 

Here are more benefits, Plants need calcium to thrive. Calcium helps the plants develop a strong cellular structure. Calcium deficiency is visible in young plants, because the leaves are twisted or have black spots,

In fruiting plants, such as tomatoes, a lack of calcium is evident when the fruits develop blossom end rot, or a thin, dark spot on the bottom of the fruit.

Coffee Grounds, Eggshells, Banana peels As Organic Fertilizer

This is a great way to supply them with organic calcium and potassium for cheap.

First I wash the eggshells, then I would place them outside in the sun and let them dry out for a few hours.

When dry, I would store them in the refrigerator until I’m ready to make my fertilizer. let the banana peels sit outside until completely dry and crunchy.

Then put 50/50 ratio of banana peels and eggshells into my grinder and blend them for about 45 second or until the consistency is the same as the consistency of powdered sugar.

Then, I would add a tablespoon in each planting hole and mix it with the soil before I put my tomato or pepper plant in it.

I always make sure to water my plants with Epsom salt water because it betters their ability to absorb the calcium from the soil. mix 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt in 1 gallon of water and repeat the process every 2 weeks.

Watch this video for more info

Eggshells Keep Slugs and Snails Away

If you have a slug problem in your garden

get yourself a dozen eggshell, wash inside of them and crush them as much as you can, and sprinkle them around the roots. Trust when I say that those slugs will never go near your veggie patch.

An additional benefit of eggshells in the garden is that larger shell pieces help deter slugs. The sharp edges of the shells irritate the soft bodies of the slugs.

Boiled Eggs Water

The quickest way. When you boil eggs, Don’t throw the water used to boil eggs, let it cool, and use it to water your plants instead. Calcium from those eggshells actually seeps into that water.

By using this leftover liquid to water your plants, you’ll be enriching them with some much-needed calcium. It’s an instant booster drink for plants.

The boiled eggs water show a faster growth rate. The minerals present in eggs water strengthens the plant roots. They can also be used as a good fertilizer because they have all minerals of eggs.

So it’s time to avoid chemical fertilizer which does harm them. There are no side effects of using eggs water. It acts as a medicine for them.

Eggshell & Vinegar Fertilizer to Manage Blossom End Rot

You can mix eggshells with white vinegar. They react, and create water soluble calcium. This form of calcium is immediately available to your plant. This is needed to stop blossom end rot.

Calcium Magnesium Supplement Recipe using Eggshells

You Only need Uncooked Cracked and dried shells, Lemon juice, here are the steps; watch this video

Coffee Grounds, Eggshells, Banana & Avocado Peels For The Garden As Organic Fertilizer

First you need to dry your coffee ground in a a sunny spot. because they will start molding if kept in the house.

And you need to let dry your banana peels and avocado peels(till they are crunchy) in a sunny spot, then crush them using a blender.banana peels and avocado peels. Both are a very good source of potassium for your plants.

Then wash the eggshells, let them sit on the sun to dry out for a couple of weeks and then ground them up by using a blender.

Finally you need to put some compost soil to a separate container, after you ground up all the eggshells, avocado and banana peels,

Then mix them with the coffee grounds and add them to my compost.then you can add some food scraps and epsom salt to it.then mix these things with some water

Organic Liquied Fertilizer

Blend a few eggshells with coffee powder and banana peels,Avocado peels in water. It is a health drink for flowering plants or plants that appear yellow/weak.

2 thoughts on “Eggshells and coffee grounds for Organic Farming

Leave a Reply